CreditCourt Forum 2004 Credit Suit Blog CreditCourt & BayHouse Newsletter BayHouse FAQ Fight Back!!! Forum CreditFactors CreditForum.org CreditCourt Forum

Getting started as Pro Se litigant Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

CreditCourt Forum » Attorneys - Pro Se - Publish » Getting started as Pro Se litigant « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christine
Board Administrator
Username: Christine

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to try to update here as people ask me questions.

Where do I file?

Usually you want to file in a court where you currently reside.

Should I file in small claims, state or federal court?

That depends on your personal preference, YOUR small claims rules and how good your case is. I.e. how much money you do want, and whether you want only actual damages or also punitive damages awards.

I would NOT consider small claims if the defendant is local. But if they have to fly there or hire an attorney, small claims might get you the settlement you want.

It will be difficult for you to find other Pro Ses who can help you with STATE court questions and procedures are very different.

For me it's federal court.

How to find court info

Go to http://www.google.com/ and search for YOUR State. Start looking around the various courts.

Federal Courts accepting electronic filings.

I might move my residence to Oregon or San Francisco just for that.

http://www.uscourts.gov/cmecf/cmecf_court.html

And of course look at the links posted here for all kinds of Pro Se info from online forms to online supplies such as exhibit dividers!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration