CreditCourt Forum 2004 Credit Suit Blog CreditCourt & BayHouse Newsletter BayHouse FAQ Fight Back!!! Forum CreditFactors CreditForum.org CreditCourt Forum

The components of a complaint as per ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

CreditCourt Forum » Attorneys - Pro Se - Publish » The components of a complaint as per NOLO « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christine Baker
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, September 27, 2002 - 03:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems pretty simple:

1) Identifying information

My name, etc.

2) A Caption

The court info, case # (once I filed) and sometimes the type of case ("Breach of Contract" or "Negligence")

3) Jurisdictional facts

There's a LOT, but I hope I don't have to worry about it.

4) Factual Assertions.

In plain English, I should briefly recite the facts ("allegations") that make up the claim.

I do NOT have to set forth all the evidence. They say a short summary is usually good enough.

(Some States such as California and New York are "code pleading" states and require more facts and details.)

5) The "prayer for relief"

What I want for legal relief.

6) My signature

Well, that's easy.

In many states you "verify" the complaint by including the "under penalty of perjury" line above the sig - that's state specific language.

When you file "verified" the defendant has to file a verified answer.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration