CreditCourt Forum 2004 Credit Suit Blog CreditCourt & BayHouse Newsletter BayHouse FAQ Fight Back!!! Forum CreditFactors CreditForum.org CreditCourt Forum

Should I let sleeping dogs lie Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

CreditCourt Forum » FAQ » Should I let sleeping dogs lie « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ndoubt
Username: Ndoubt

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to a university 20 years ago. At the time I rec'd a guaranteed student loan and a National direct student loan, both of which I paid and have proof of payment. My parents also borrowed a loan under their name (I did not sign for this at all) and they say they repaid, but no longer have any proof of payment. About 17 years ago I attended a different university which requested and rec'd my transcripts from the first university. Recently, I decided to go back to college again. This time when I requested my transcripts from the first university, they said there was a "hold" put on my account by a collection agency for $5000! They said the hold was placed on my account 7 years after I attended the school. I have never been billed for this nor advised by any collection agency that I owe this money. Additionally, in the last 20 years I have purchased 2 homes, applied for and received numerous credit cards, have had my credit report checked for renting purposes, etc. and I have never had any denial of credit or notification of bad credit. On the contrary, my credit rating is excellent and I always qualify for the lowest rates. When I asked the registrar what the debt was supposed to be for, she said it was so old, it was written off as a bad debt and they would have to dig up microfiche which would take at least a week. I have decided to just retake the 5 credits of classes I need instead of trying to get my transcripts but I'm in turmoil thinking that I have been the victim of identity fraud or something. Since they say the debt is so old, can this come back to haunt me (ie. should I investigate and find out what it is) or should I just leave it alone and not worry about it. Can this still be reported to a credit bureau since it is so old a debt? I really don't remember owing this money to anyone and I definitely know I've never been billed for it.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christine
Board Administrator
Username: Christine

Post Number: 1900
Posted on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would send exactly one certified letter, giving them 10 days to send the transcript or prove the debt and then I'd sue.

And everybody PLEASE do not post your credit repair questions here or ask me for FREE advice.

Please read http://www.bayhouse.com/donate.shtml

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration