CreditCourt Forum 2004 Credit Suit Blog CreditCourt & BayHouse Newsletter BayHouse FAQ Fight Back!!! Forum CreditFactors CreditForum.org CreditCourt Forum

Charge PRIOR to the 30 days Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

CreditCourt Forum » ConsumerInfo.com - PrivacyGuard » Charge PRIOR to the 30 days « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michael_mc
Username: Michael_mc

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2004 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Jan 8, 2004 I went to www.consumerinfo.com for a free credit report. I clicked on "Free credit report" (supposed to be Experian only) and I filled out the necessary fields, including giving my credit card number etc. Now, what you are led to believe from the information on the site is, which seemed clear enough, if you do not call and cancel your account within the 30 day trial period you would be charged. Calling my credit card company on Jan. 13, 2004 I was told of a transaction with CIC for 39.95. I was given the phone # for CIC and called to dispute this charge. Can I just say that as soon as CIC customer service picked up the phone they were on the defensive (tone of voice, attitude etc.)
It was obvious that they are dealing with complaints quite often. I told them I had only applied for a free credit report and never, ever would have authorized that amount to be billed to my credit card. The CSR insisted that I chose the report that was not free and that it was not possible for me obtain a refund. I in turn stated that I felt there website was extremely misleading and deceptive and no where, not once, was the amount of 39.95 on any of the webpages I filled out. I was told I needed to fax a copy of my driver's license, SocSec card, written letter of dispute, signed by yours truly, to 714-385 2100 }Attention: Consumer Relations Group.
I can tell by this that they intentionally make the run around so inconvenient that they are hoping you'll just say "forget it" and go on your merry way. I mean really, does the average household have a fax and/or copier? Business integrity is about as plentiful as the Dodo bird.
Does this sound like the right course of action or are there other steps to take.
Sincerely, Michael Mc
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christine
Board Administrator
Username: Christine

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2004 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It took me a while to get it: They charged you BEFORE the 30 days were up!

I would not send them anything other than the cancellation and I would also copy the BBB and the FTC via fax to 202-326-2012.

Legally they cannot demand that you cancel in writing unless they specifically state so at signup, but unless you can record the call, it's best to fax the cancellation and demand for refund. All they need is identifying info, no copies of anything.

I would LOVE to have a recording of their demand for the SS card etc.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration