CreditCourt Forum 2004 Credit Suit Blog CreditCourt & BayHouse Newsletter BayHouse FAQ Fight Back!!! Forum CreditFactors CreditForum.org CreditCourt Forum

$79.95 charge and never order a CIC p... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

CreditCourt Forum » ConsumerInfo.com - PrivacyGuard » $79.95 charge and never order a CIC product « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ethicsfirst
Username: Ethicsfirst

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christine - Thanks for all this hard work! I just got CIC'd today and am INFURIATED. It's not the money (well, OK, it's sort of the money). But the smarmy, slimy, unethical, fraudulent activities of this despicable company play a much bigger role in my anger.

They came at me out of the blue. Just decided to check my credit card activity online - and there was that now infamous $79.95 charge. I had never heard of CIC before today, didn't know what they sold, didn't request any of their products/services, have never RECEIVED any of their products/services and definitely never authorized them to charge my credit card.

There was no way I could have protected myself from this because I had absolutely nothing to do with it!

You asked for additional contact info. The phone number that appeared on my credit card activity doesn't seem to be listed on any of the billion websites I've reviewed in the last 8 hours. Here it is: 1-866-369-0412. I spent about 20 completely aggravating minutes on that line today, so know it's active.

By the way, I also just started a blog for the town I live in; our elected officials are about as corrupt as CIC, just on a different level. I'll do whatever I can do to help this cause.

Christine
Board Administrator
Username: Christine

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved your posting to its own topic, much appreciate your posting. Got a few questions for you:

Did you order/receive any credit reports? They operate under NUMEROUS names.

What did they tell you on the phone?

And post a link to your blog. Links are important for the search engines.

Also, what state are you in?

Sage_grouse
Username: Sage_grouse

Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found that same number on my credit card bill. They charged me after I sent an email to cancel (they charged me about a month after I sent the email). It was for FreeCreditReport.com.

I checked the website and read the following:
"Isn’t it nice to know you have the security of a satisfaction guarantee when you order the CreditCheck Monitoring Service? If you try the service and decide it is not for you, please contact our Customer Care Center toll free at 1-888-888-8553. Your credit card will NOT be charged if you cancel during a free trial period. If for any reason you are not satisfied, you can cancel anytime to discontinue the service and stop the monthly billing. However, you will not be eligible for a prorated refund of any portion of your current month's paid membership fee."

After calling the number, they would not reimburse me - they said that sometimes they wouldn’t receive emails - and I had to eat the bill. I asked them to send me verification for cancellation so that I could have that on record. I guess I should have checked more of the website.
}

Christine
Board Administrator
Username: Christine

Post Number: 1980
Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"they said that sometimes they wouldn’t receive emails - and I had to eat the bill."

It's just not enough money for most people to care.

Lenacrab
Username: Lenacrab

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 02:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I discovered the $79.95 unauthorized charge on my account last week and immediately informed my bank which closed my account and opened an investigation. I am awaiting re-issue of my new card and in the meantime am undergoing the associated inconvenience of not having access to my account as before. I don't know how CIC got my credit card number. Why would anybody pay for that 'service' when they can get all 3 reports for about half of that? I have not attempted to contact CIC itself since that usually doesn't yield satisfactory results it seems.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration