CreditCourt Forum 2004 Credit Suit Blog CreditCourt & BayHouse Newsletter BayHouse FAQ Fight Back!!! Forum CreditFactors CreditForum.org CreditCourt Forum

Consumer requests missing report # an... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

CreditCourt Forum » Equifax » Consumer requests missing report # and Equifax replies with phone # REQUIRING the missing report # « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Christine Baker
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 727
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2003 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a real good one. The consumer ordered her online credit report and she got very frustrated because she couldn't find the report number required for on-line disputes and to reach a person at Equifax when calling.

She moved and has a restraining order against her ex, and she wants to change the address on the report to her new address in another State.

Equifax apparently doesn't provide report numbers for areas where a LOCAL AFFILIATE handles the file.

The report contains the link to "REQUEST INVESTIGATION." However, it is not possible to request an investigation without the missing report number. She also couldn't get through on the phone to a person at Equifax without the report number.

So she wrote to Equifax at scorepower@equifax.com:

"I ordered my report online on 3/25/03 and I can't find a report number anywhere on the report. How can I dispute online and change my address?"

Equifax replied the next day:

"Dear Ms. (deleted),

We have received your email inquiry.

You have reached the Internet Support team.

Please contact Equifax Customer Service at the telephone number listed at the bottom of your Equifax Credit Report in order to dispute any inaccuracies.

The "Printable View" page is available to obtain information on creditors reporting on your Equifax Credit Report. They are available Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm. You will be required to provide your 9 digit confirmation
number
(found near the aforementioned telephone number) on the Equifax Credit Report that you ordered from Equifax.

The Customer Service representative can initiate an investigation, request to close inactive revolving accounts, provide more information regarding the account in question and update personal information.

Our records indicate that you reside in an Affiliate region and that you will need to contact the Affiliate office using the telephone number located in the same area of your online Equifax Credit Report in the section titled, "Investigate Your File". You will not be able to dispute on line if your file is handled by an affiliate office.

We appreciate your business.

ScorePower"

1) How can it be that you e-mail to Equifax about the MISSING report number and they respond that this report number is required for telephone assistance?

2) The phone number listed on the report is for a local bureau and NOT a toll free number as required by the FCRA (an Experian/CreditData SW violation in my complaint.)

3) Why would one call that "local" bureau when the consumer is literally thousands of miles away?

WHY can't Equifax change the address?

EQUIFAX is the CRA required to handle the investigations and corrections as they SOLD the report!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration